IITD / UCC Diploma in Learning & Development Practice
NUI Level 7 (60 Credits)
The role of the Learning & Development professional is constantly evolving and your organisation and trainees have different and higher expectations of what you will provide for them. There has been an accelerated pace of change both in terms of subject matter expertise and pedagogical application in this area resulting in a heightened need to engage in continuous professional development (CPD). In association with University College Cork (UCC) this programme will enable you to build on your existing knowledge of Training & Development to ensure that your training strategies and interventions continue to be innovative and challenging.
Delivered through a combination of work based hours and classroom based hours, the Diploma in Learning & Development Practice is a unique offering that covers the entire process of delivering training, including assessment, preparation, creating a positive learning environment, facilitating learning, and evaluating learning. It will also provide a comprehensive understanding of establishing and running an effective organisational coaching system, social media and IT in training, contemporary developments in the profession, and becoming a learning and development specialist.
Who Should Undertake the Programme?
The Diploma in Learning & Development Practice is aimed at:
• Individuals who have an interest in training and development and may wish to pursue it as a career.
• Individuals who hold training and development responsibilities in organisations.
• Individuals and teams involved in the design and delivery of training programmes.
• Consultants who wish to gain formal qualifications in training and development.
• Managers and team leaders who wish to gain an insight into the systematic training process.
Structure and Content of Programme
The programme consists of eight modules and is delivered in a highly participative and practical manner through a combination of work based hours and classroom based hours. A range of learning methods and approaches will be used to promote the practical application of theoretical concepts covered.
Programme Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this programme, students will be able to:
• Outline the remit and span of the role of the Learning and Development specialist within a national and international organisation context
• Engage an strategic approach to learning and development activities
• Design, Select and deliver learning and development interventions to optimise participant learning and organisation impact
• Evaluate tangible and intangible impacts of learning and development activity
• Establish and run an effective coaching and mentoring systems in an organisation context
• Optimise the use of IT and social media in the delivery of the learning and development role
• Identify the emerging trends and challenges in the profession
• Devise a personal Continuous Development Plan based on a comprehensive self-assessment against professional standards and recognised skill sets in pursuit of lifelong development as a specialist.
Programme Assessment Process
The programme is assessed through a combination of practical individual and team assignments, essays, presentations, online discussion with peers, and work-based applications
- Normally, applicants for entry to the Diploma in Learning & Development Practice will be at least 21 years of age by 1 January of the year of application;
- AND hold a Leaving Certificate/FETAC level 5 qualification or equivalent. (It is assumed that participants will have an underlying foundational working knowledge/experience within L&D and/or have at minimum a level 6 qualification in Learning & Development/Training or related area).
- All applicants whose first language is not English must have attained IELTS Level 6 or the equivalent TOEFL score
Module 1 - Learning & Development in Organisations (5 Credits) 1.5 lecture days + 12 work based hours
Module 2 - Positioning Learning & Development in Organisations (10 Credits) 6 Lecture Days
Module 3 - Designing Learning & Development Activities (10 Credits) 3 lecture days + 24 work based hours
Module 4 - Measuring the Effectiveness Learning & Development (5 Credits) 1 lecture day + 24 WBH
Exit Route – By completing the first 4 modules participants could exit with a Certificate at NFQ Level 7 (30 Credits)
Module 5 - Coaching & Mentoring in Organisations (10 Credits) 3 lecture days + 24 work based hours
Module 6 - IT and Social Media in Learning & Development (10 Credits) 3 lecture days + 24 work based hours
Module 7 - Contemporary Developments in Learning & Development (5 Credits) 2 lecture days + 12 WBH
Module 8 - Becoming a Learning & Development Specialist (5 Credits) 2 lecture days + 12 work based hours
Full Diploma: Certificate:
€2450 (TLS Member Grant Funded Rate) €1650 (TLS Member Grant Funded Rate)
€2850 (Non TLS Members) €1850 (Non TLS Members)
Click here to download full Programme brochure
Dates for 2020/21
Dublin Course Dates: UCC - Cork Course Dates:
Module 1: 18th & 19th Sept 2020 Module 1: 25th & 26th Sept 2020
Module 2: 02nd & 03rd Oct 2020 Module 2: 09th & 10th Oct 2020
16th & 17th Oct 2020 23rd & 24th Oct 2020
30th & 31st Oct 2020 06th & 07th Nov 2020
Module 3: 13th, 14th & 27th Nov 2020 Module 3: 20th, 21st Nov & 4th Dec 2020
Module 4: 28th Nov 2020 Module 4: 05th Dec 2020
Module 5: 08th, 09th & 22nd Jan 2021 Module 5: 15th, 16th & 23rd Jan 2021
Module 6: 05th, 06th & 20th Feb 2021 Module 6: 12th, 13th & 26th Feb 2021
Module 7: 05th & 19th Mar 2021 Module 7: 12th & 26th Mar 2021
Module 8: 09th & 17th Apr 2021 Module 8: 10th & 16th Apr 2021
Please click here for further UCC information: http://www.ucc.ie/en/ace-dldp/